The Freeman Feldmann Shipping Container Home
Developers Katie Nichols and John Walker have focused their careers on creating affordable, sustainable, design-intensive homes for creative, urban people. To achieve that goal, the duo tapped into an inexhaustible resource in the port city of Houston, Texas– shipping containers. In a partnership with architect Christopher Robertson, Nichols and Walker created the Freeman Feldmann Shipping Container Home a few miles north of the city.
In addition to the low-maintenance landscaping and passive solar design of the home, some other green elements include:
- Built with four used shipping containers
- SIPs incorporated in roof and floors
- On-demand hot water heater
- Efficient Unico AC system
- An energy recovery ventilation system
- Bamboo flooring and low-VOC paints
- Use of fiberboard products
- Energy efficient appliances
- Dual-flush toilets and efficient plumbing/fixtures
The most expensive elements of the home, the structural elements and mechanical core, were partially prefabricated in a shop for efficiency.